Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Thinking

Who knew that thinking could be such a non-productive, time wasting activity?

Chad is out of town for the moment. Whenever he is gone, the part of my brain that allows me to function goes with him. He left about 5 days ago and it has been exactly that long since I have accomplished anything worth talking about. Laundry? Nope! Dishes? A few. Dinner? Barely. That's it. I've been on the computer or pacing up and down the stairs wondering, "What did I come up here (or down here) for?" Yesterday I didn't shower until 9:30pm and then I got right into bed. What was the point of that?

I have, though, been thinking a lot. I have spent hours thinking about what I should be doing, what needs to get done, what errands I need to run, but nothing has been accomplished! Most of my thoughts have been fragments that start off going somewhere but end up... My brain is like a ping pong ball bouncing around inside my head. My inner dialogue looks something like this:

  • I really need to go to the grocery store for... (FOR WHAT!??!)
  • Megan needs her shirt washed for Fri... (OK, I'll get on it! Oops, I forgot.)
  • Did Abbey put her homework packet... (in her folder, on her desk, where? where was I going with this line of thought?)
  • I need to get some new recipes... (for what? dinner? breakfast? a party? am I going somewhere? did I sign up to bring something?)
  • Taking a walk right now would do me so much goooooo... (GOOD, GOOD! That's what I'm trying to say!)

I'm currently having a week where appointments WILL be missed and friends will be left waiting for me somewhere we arranged to meet last week while my brain was still working...

So, if you were left waiting for me in some fashion this week, I forgot to return your call, or you had coffee by yourself yesterday, please forgive me. Chad will be home in a few days...

4 comments:

Nicki Parker said...

That was your best post EVER!!!

Michele Lee said...

I feel for you Shannon...I have been feeling the same way lately....I just folded all the laundry..now when I say all I mean...from the last two weeks..I just couldn't get motivated to do it....piles and piles of laundry now put away instead of hanging out on my couch...love you, M

Megan said...

I feel so selfish now. I am sooo sorry to burden you with MY problems when you are going through things of your own. Although, I must say, I am SOOOO appreciative of your support and love and prayer and just being there for me these past couple of days. I do know for sure that God used YOU to help me through my crisis, I just wish I could help you through yours. Is there something I can help you do? I'll go on a walk with you. I'm free tomorrow morning after I drop the kids off...what do ya say?
Thank you for being the best sis anyone could ask for. I love you more than you know. Thank you for letting me let my guard down around you and be my true self. You are a blessing in my life. I thank God for you on a daily basis! =)

Chris said...

Oh dear friend...you are so the real deal which is why I love you so much. I am rereading the English Garden series of Lori Wick (of coarse)and whenever I read these time period type stories I am reminded to reflect on how we spend our days. Sitting in the garden and reading poetry was productive, giving yourself time with your thoughts is healthy, wherever they may lead you...remember even God told us to "be still"...there is NO shame in it. We do NOT have to be "productive" all the time.